umivcf
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HEROES

+2
corlegacy89
Boomerwang
6 posters

umivcf :: IVCF :: General

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

HEROES Empty HEROES

Post by Boomerwang Tue Sep 23, 2008 12:36 am

Aaaaagh, OMG!

Bad second season forgiven!

Har har har.

What did you think?!
Boomerwang
Boomerwang

Number of posts : 184
Name : Jerry
Year : Grad
Major : Civil Engr
Registration date : 2008-09-07

http://www.xanga.com/amurizon

Back to top Go down

HEROES Empty Re: HEROES

Post by corlegacy89 Tue Sep 23, 2008 12:53 am

cannotttt wait for it to come out online tomorrow.
missed it tonight cuz of rehearsal Crying or Very sad

corlegacy89

Number of posts : 25
Name : Cory
Year : Sophomore
Registration date : 2008-09-10

Back to top Go down

Post by stechen Tue Sep 23, 2008 2:28 am

... when are your rehearsals? I'm getting this impression that there's some overlap here. ^_^
stechen
stechen

Number of posts : 60
Name : Steven Chen
Year : Junior
Major : Political Science, Asian Studies
Registration date : 2008-09-11

http://shadowdevil502.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by corlegacy89 Tue Sep 23, 2008 3:18 pm

9:30-11 on Mondays...=/

corlegacy89

Back to top Go down

Post by stechen Wed Sep 24, 2008 12:56 am

Haha, our rehearsals do indeed overlap a bit. So it really *was* you guys singing worship songs then?
stechen
stechen

Back to top Go down

Post by corlegacy89 Wed Sep 24, 2008 1:18 pm

hahah yup it sure was!
it's our tradition to do that the first rehearsal of every semester (and then at random times throughout)
it's called "stairwell sing", awesome acoustics Very Happy

corlegacy89

Back to top Go down

Post by Psychosis Wed Sep 24, 2008 2:21 pm

Dan Sa and I spent a good deal of time talking and laughing about the huuuge plot holes over AIM (season 1 was basically undone,) but agreed that Heroes is far more enjoyable if you just forget about them. In spite of that, the third season has me hooked, I really enjoy the concept of time travel and screwing up different timelines with interventions.
Psychosis
Psychosis

Number of posts : 15
Name : Albert YAO
Year : 2008
Major : Butt-Kicking
Registration date : 2008-09-22

https://www.youtube.com/ivantsangmadethis

Back to top Go down

Post by Boomerwang Wed Sep 24, 2008 2:42 pm

Yeah I think in general people were not satisfied with the short Season 2... but so far I think Season 3 has delivered. Some of us were talking about how fast-paced it was, and given that I missed the first 20 mins of the premier episode, things were even more confusing for me (plus the fact I don't remember the second season much).

Some interesting things on my mind (hidden via spoiler text in case any of you don't want to hear about what's been happening so far - click to reveal):

Spoiler:

Agh, so many questions! Let's discuss.
Laughing
Boomerwang
Boomerwang

Back to top Go down

Post by corlegacy89 Wed Sep 24, 2008 3:23 pm

Spoiler:

corlegacy89

Back to top Go down

Post by lwoca Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:33 pm

Spoiler:

lwoca

Number of posts : 11
Name : Casey
Year : Senior
Major : Neuroscience
Registration date : 2008-09-14

Back to top Go down

Post by Boomerwang Thu Sep 25, 2008 11:24 pm

Spoiler:
Boomerwang
Boomerwang

Back to top Go down

Post by corlegacy89 Fri Sep 26, 2008 12:50 am

Spoiler:

corlegacy89

Back to top Go down

HEROES Empty Discussion

Post by vaneckb Fri Sep 26, 2008 7:42 pm

Spoiler:

vaneckb

Number of posts : 30
Name : Ben

http://autonomouscollective.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by stechen Sat Sep 27, 2008 3:06 am

This thread is hilarious if you don't open all the spoilers.
stechen
stechen

Back to top Go down

Post by Boomerwang Tue Sep 30, 2008 3:14 am

Dang it, I missed it tonight! But that's alright, I'll catch up soon.

I like your theories, Ben. (Well, everyone's at that.) I'm not so sold on the Linderman idea, but at this stage in the game it's just as valid a theory as any other (unless tonight's episode revealed something).

I was actually thinking something similar for Future Ando. Many of our friends think he's 100% human through and through (and not latent)... so we'll have to see how he got that ability of his. My first thought is
Spoiler:
, and my second is that
Spoiler:

The Peter and the Inmate situation I felt wasn't as difficult to rationalize in my head. If in fact Peter's body
Spoiler:

The Nikki thing is just plain confusing, but I like Casey's theory so far. Personally, it'd be really crazy (maybe even kind of [!]?) if it turned out to be a third sister, or something. We should always remember that Nikki doesn't suffer from "multiple personalities" (even though her symptoms were so similar) - she has multiple people existing inside of her. Maybe she has more.

Yeah, I'm discounting the whole company thing from Season 2. Like you said, too many ways to explain anything = wasting too much time thinking about theories that aren't substantial enough.

As for Peter vs. Sylar... I share your view. At first I thought Peter for sure, but now I'm not so sure. I think it depends on the situation, though. If they had to fight then and there in the street, Peter would win hands down because Sylar has to take time to obtain his abilities. But if they had a whole city to play with, and the fight lasted days, not hours... I think Sylar would win for the reason you described.
Boomerwang
Boomerwang

Back to top Go down

Post by vaneckb Thu Oct 02, 2008 12:23 am

In case any of you didn't know you can actually watch heroes online at NBC.com. It's really nice if you miss an episode for some reason. (It has something like the latest seven episodes at any given time)

Spoiler:

vaneckb

Back to top Go down

Post by Boomerwang Tue Oct 07, 2008 1:13 pm

Just an FYI that I'm going to be behind now in watching, as I'm going to be going to Monday DPM @ Bursley. I'll probably have to catch up sometime during the weekend. So I am resisting the temptation to click that Spoiler text. O.O

(Btw, it looks like I somehow censored myself in my prev. post, but how did that happen? I didn't say anything... Hmmm. Smells like something's broken)

Last edited by Boomerwang on Tue Oct 07, 2008 5:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Boomerwang
Boomerwang

Back to top Go down

Post by Psychosis Tue Oct 07, 2008 1:32 pm

Yay, last night's episode had fewer plot holes than usual, props to Tim Kring and the writers.
Psychosis
Psychosis

Number of posts : 15
Name : Albert YAO
Year : 2008
Major : Butt-Kicking
Registration date : 2008-09-22

https://www.youtube.com/ivantsangmadethis

Back to top Go down

Post by Boomerwang Tue Oct 14, 2008 1:11 pm

Watching the latest episode now (that aired yesterday). Wow, kind of crazy.

*light spoiler warning* (not gonna bother putting tags up, haha)

Steven's power was ridiculous! I'm kind of sad he was just a one-episode thing, but given his personality, I don't think it's suitable for him to come back. It'd be very interesting to see if they explore where things end up after getting [x] in. It could almost be like The Prestige.

Do you think Sylar is really reforming? I doubted it at first, but with the vision from the future, and how this episode revealed that he could experience others' pain (no doubt thanks to him acquiring Bridgette's ability), I think it's definitely possible. In fact, it strikingly reminded me of Season 1, when Sylar experienced (real?) remorse after obtaining Isaac's ability. Maybe it's also happening here. Very interesting theme to explore.

At first I thought Linderman's power far extended beyond the ability to rejuvenate any living thing he touches. But after this episode I think the questions about him have pretty much been resolved (though with this series you just never know).

I don't like the "multiple Nikki sisters" concept. I would have preferred Casey's theory, where Nikki survived due to her being saved by her third personality. It also irks me that these powers aren't unique, but only because it makes each main character a little less spectacular (like, a ton of people can apparently tell the future in one way or another, or influence others' minds). But I do appreciate the subtle differences as to how each goes about it, and I have no doubts that "synthetic abilities" and as a result, "repeated abilities," is definitely a theme that the creators want to explore.

By the way, with Claire's regenerative ability, is it safe to assume that if you impale her with an object and keep the object held there, that she will stay dead until it is removed? What then about smaller objects, say bullets? I remember specifically Maya's gunshot wound from Sylar healing and her body pushed the bullet out. But maybe one's body has a much tougher time pushing out a big piece of metal stuck in one's head.

Who is Mr. Petrelli's "sidekick"? He really reminded me of Parkman's father, Maury. Wait... is it Maury??

And I really really like the creepy path that Mohinder is taking. I think my original theory is somewhat true - that he is evolving insect/reptilian traits, or maybe even evolving into such a hybrid creature. It'd be very appropriate given that Mohinder's been harping about the good of evolution throughout the entire series (as possibly a foreshadowing?). The insect/reptilian aspect also fits, given Mohinder's ability to scale walls, super strength, sharpened senses and reflexes, quickness, the alterations on his back (resembling metallic scales or plates - a toughening of the flesh, or shedding?), increasingly aggressive tendencies, and cocooning ability. By the way, what do you think he's cocooning his victims for? I'm thinking one of two things: Future experimental subjects... or food. (It'd make sense to use Maya as an experiment, and it'd make sense to use a drug dealer as food.) It seems like they are still alive? Even if they don't seem conscious (as evidenced by the unfriendly neighbor opening his eye but otherwise not reacting). He might walk the same path as Sylar - at first he gets carried away with his abilities, but then becomes a recluse in the future because he realizes how dangerous he is to those around him. (as shown in 4 years in the future)

Heroes Wiki wrote:
He [Nathan] still insists that it was God that brought him back from the dead and gave him his powers. Tracy tells him that she got her powers from experimentation by Dr. Zimmerman.

Very, very interesting philosophically.
Boomerwang
Boomerwang

Back to top Go down

Post by corlegacy89 Wed Oct 15, 2008 1:23 pm

Okay, so something was wrong with Google Chrome...prly have to restart the comp or something. but it wouldnt let me post and it kept deleting it. ugh... well here's a cliffnotes version:
- i think sylar is reforming but of course with this season pretty much nothing is predictable anymore...
- I think you're right about clare. Her body can push out a bullet when it regenerates but doesnt have enough force to dislodge a pole in the head or something.
- Yup, Matt's dad is back....unfortunately. he was pretty annoying.
- Sorry, Jerry, I can't stand Mohinder. Never liked him. He's annoying and dumb and only gets in the way and screws things up (i.e. shooting Clare's dad in the eye and wrapping ppl up in cocoons).
- As a matter of fact, lots of people bug me this season. Don't like Peter anymore....used to be awesome. Of course he had to take Sylar's power and get all messed up in the head...
And Hiro...what a wimp. Gets knocked out like every episode. And he killed his friend- for what? to be cool and "bad"? he's off my favorite list.
I guess my fav is Clare now. Too bad her powers don't do any damage.
- Oh yeah and I don't like Clare's biological mom. talk about a cocky lady. She thinks her little fireballs are the best power ever. What was she thinking going up against that mind control dude?

corlegacy89

Back to top Go down

Post by vaneckb Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:22 pm

NOOOOOO, apparently my session timed out and I lost my post, it was really long too, basically I agree with Cory on most if it, particularly on how some of the characters are annoying. a lot the things they do seem really out of character, especially Peter and Hiro. Also claire's dad, despite the constant insistence that he's actually brilliant and stuff, seems quite stupid, how is fire ball lady supposed to protect claire exactly? she's no match for the majority of the powers we've seen so far. consider: stopping time, Illusions, mind controll, telikenisis, power stealing, etc.

vaneckb

Back to top Go down

Post by vaneckb Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:25 pm

So I find it interesting to think of ways that the heroes could have actually used there powers and avoided these messes that they keep making. Here are some of my thoughts

-claire's healing: Didn't you watch the x-men when you were little?
implant a little offensive capabilities or at least learn how to punch,
you can't die for heaven sakes what are you and your family afraid of,
at least learn to protect yourself, your immortal it's not like you
don't have the time.

-Peter: get with the freezing time man, Sylar's exploding, well then
freeze time and move him, or pick him up and fly away, or mind control
him, whatever you do don't stand there with a dumb look on your face.
Attacking your own mother? dumb, but haven't you been knocked out
enough times to remeber to use your SUPER SONIC HEARING, which you
should have gotten from sylar if you didn't, or just freeze time so
there are not interruptions, PLEASE DO SOMETHING NEXT TIME. Also you
can get ablities, so why aren't you gathering useful ones? Linderman
could heal people, that means all those people who die around you you
could heal, there's no limit to what you could do if you just tried.

Hiro: once again I say freezing time could be pretty useful for you.
Feel you have to stab your best friend through the chest for no solid
reason? ok, so as soon as your all out of sight freeze time and take
him to a hospital.

This is just the beginning of the ways they could use there powers more effectively, anybody else have any good ones? Even more interesting, how could you use some of their powers in unrelated but creative ways?

vaneckb

Back to top Go down

Post by Boomerwang Sun Oct 19, 2008 12:20 pm

Hiro's situation seems pretty obvious to me - he's definitely going to go back in time and rescuing him. I don't think he would have "killed" Ando if he didn't have such a backup plan. However, maybe knowing that Ando kills him in the future is enough to keep him from rescuing Ando?

I really enjoy Mohinder's accent. The intelligence that the script gave him in Season 1 and so forth is really interesting to me. I also like the irony of Mohinder's situation: Notice that up to date, he is the only one whose powers have caused noticeable physical changes in anatomy. For someone who's quipped about the virtues of "activating evolution" throughout the entire series, the irony is pretty amusing.

I'm not sure if Peter actually acquired enhanced hearing from Sylar. When Sylar was injected with the Shanti virus and temporarily lost his powers, I think he had to start from almost square one when he applied Mohinder's cure. That he still retained his telekenesis ability is a mystery to me, but it looks like he had to start over with a clean slate and begin re-acquiring new abilities.

Two thoughts:

- I agree with most fans out there - they are overplaying the immortality bit (transferrable immortal blood was a bad idea). They need to devise a better mechanism for bringing people back. Or they need to make up their minds and let people die to keep them from becoming cheapened in the eyes of viewers.

- Sylar should not have been given access to Claire's ability. It derails the entire continuity train.

Hmmm, "using powers in creative but unrelated ways"... Well, I have a good one. In fact, the perfect combination for us students: With Claire and Linderman's combined powers, you could go to school for free and get perfect grades every term. Get hit by an Mbus every term. Kill a roommate (and later revive him) every term!

It'd be convenient to have Tracy Strauss' freezing ability. You'd definitely draw attention at a block party.

Claire's mom's fire abilities could be put to good use to delay exams dates...

If you ended up like Mohinder, pick a random hall in a dorm and recreate the hive scenes from Aliens!!

If you could fly like Nathan Petrelli or West, you'd have it made in terms of dates.

Ah, here's a question: If you yourself were a new character in the Heroes universe, what new power would you have? (be creative, don't pick a currently-existing one)
Boomerwang
Boomerwang

Back to top Go down

Post by corlegacy89 Mon Oct 20, 2008 11:37 pm

Okay, i guess a little late to post this now but..(acutally Jerry don't read yet if you haven't seen the latest episode) i dont see how that woulda been a viable backup plan. if he planned to go back in time to save ando,why would he stab in the first place? all the events that he woulda done after stabbing never would've happened and they would've ended up right where they started again. but okaaaay i dont completely hate hiro now. although...i thought super fast girl couldnt freeze? weird...maybe only when she's running?
and whaddya know? hiro got knocked out agaaaain. like 2-3 times. lol

- this episode was pretty predictable compared to the other ones. once the mind control dude started the "spin the gun" game, i knew clare was gonna have to get shot and recover.
- once peter got to the plant and his dad said to give him a hug....ugh. obviously. peterrrr you're useless now!! =(
- oh yeah, and his dad is pretty much a copy of rogue. a lot of em are copies of x-men, but i guess you can only think of so many different powers...the vortex dude was prly the most unique. although even with him, he's a copy of Abyss (one of the 4 horsemen from the x-men series.) okay i'm starting to sound too nerdy now, i'll stop Very Happy

corlegacy89

Back to top Go down

Post by Boomerwang Tue Oct 21, 2008 8:37 pm

*spoiler warning*

Hiro's stint with the African was hilarious. To me it was almost as if the creators knew that Hiro constantly getting knocked out was an endearing (if annoying) gag to the audience, so they played off that.

corlegacy89 wrote:i thought super fast girl couldnt freeze? weird...maybe only when she's running?

I'd agree with that, and it'd almost make sense, because Daphne (the super fast girl) doesn't operate normally at superspeeds, it's just when she moves.

I'm sad that Adam (apparently) died. :( And I guess that indicates that Peter won't be getting his powers back...

Yeah, I think that it's hard to come up with unique super abilities, because there's just been so many characters created. I think it may not be so much that it's because the creative database has been exhausted, but rather 1) mainstream comic abilities have railroaded our thinking somewhat, and 2) some abilities are just so general that they cover up a lot of smaller, more specific abilities that new characters could possess.
Boomerwang
Boomerwang

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content