umivcf
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[resolved] request for small group privacy

umivcf :: IVCF :: Welcome :: Help

Go down

[resolved] request for small group privacy Empty [resolved] request for small group privacy

Post by Boomerwang Sat Sep 20, 2008 4:32 am

This was from an email sent to me. I'm posting it with the sender's permission, so you know this issue has been addressed. :)

email wrote:
I would like to voice my support for making at least the small groups private. I think making everything public is counter to in-depth small group sharing and a "nothing leaves the room" confidentiality. I cant see where allowing other people to access and post on others small groups would be that useful, maybe for intersmall group activities, but I can see potential for abuse, nothing malicious, more just annoying: trash talking, joking, etc. that’s what im thinking.

My response has been to set up "Small Group Sharing" forums in each Small Group forum. These Sharing forums are private and will only be viewable by members of each small group (which you have to request membership for by clicking Usergroups at the top of the website).

This way, every Small Group forum works like a public lobby, and each Sharing forum works like a private room. In the public lobby, anybody can access it, and see what's going on. In the private Sharing forum, only the SG members can view and respond.

Thanks!

Last edited by Boomerwang on Mon Oct 13, 2008 2:00 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : cleaned up the wording)
Boomerwang
Boomerwang

Number of posts : 184
Name : Jerry
Year : Grad
Major : Civil Engr
Registration date : 2008-09-07

http://www.xanga.com/amurizon

Back to top Go down

[resolved] request for small group privacy Empty [update] Mods can no longer access Small Group Sharing forums

Post by Boomerwang Tue Oct 21, 2008 1:51 am

Update on Small Group Sharing forums: Due to requests, I'm going to make them non-accessible to Moderators also.

Therefore, Moderators, don't worry if you can't view the Small Group Sharing forums - only Small Group members and Admins will have access. (Admins can't be denied access to anything because of how forum websites work in general, but we do promise to honor your confidentiality by not accessing such forums.)

Note that this only applies to the Small Group Sharing forums, not the actual Small Group forums themselves (remember the "lobby and private room" illustration).
Boomerwang
Boomerwang

Number of posts : 184
Name : Jerry
Year : Grad
Major : Civil Engr
Registration date : 2008-09-07

http://www.xanga.com/amurizon

Back to top Go down