Pondering AIV NS BBQ + NS Dinner

umivcf :: IVCF :: General

Go down

Pondering AIV NS BBQ + NS Dinner

Post by myi on Sat Sep 20, 2008 11:44 am

Just some food for thought:

Why does AIV have both a new student BBQ and a new student dinner? I recognize that the settings are different, and different people might be inclined to go to one over the other... but still, is God truly glorified by having two similar events? (ok, not SO similar... one involves SG competition and the other competition between upperclassmen and they foster different kinds of community...)

I'm wondering if this is similar to the Coffeehouse/Christmas Banquet issue; maybe it'd be better to consolidate in the future? That way, it feels less like we're rushing in greek manner... plus leaders can get more rest.

I'd love to hear any thoughts. Please contradict me if you want! :)

myi

Number of posts : 31
Name : Margaret Yi
Year : Junior
Major : Piano Performance
Registration date : 2008-09-10

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Pondering AIV NS BBQ + NS Dinner

Post by corlegacy89 on Sat Sep 20, 2008 5:55 pm

I think that they're different enough, because as I learned today (first time going to NSBBQ), this was a lot about small group bonding/teamwork, but that doesn't happen at New Student Dinner. That event is more for upperclassmen to welcome the freshmen and cook for them.

So even though they sound similar on the surface, if we look at what we actually do at each event, I think it's worth it to have both.

Umm.....I don't remember/know what happened with the Coffeehouse/Christmas Banquet thing.
But, I do appreciate the thought of consolidating events as much as possible. Leaders definitely need their rest Smile

corlegacy89

Number of posts : 25
Name : Cory
Year : Sophomore
Registration date : 2008-09-10

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by chaohuei on Thu Sep 25, 2008 4:30 pm

Two thoughts:

First, I don't think the BBQ was called the "New Student BBQ" in the past. Instead, I think it was the "Gallop/Island Park BBQ." This would, I think, shift the focus from the freshmen specifically and instead emphasize the fellowship and small groups.

Secondly, and as a sort of continuation, I think Cory's point about the different focii make having the different events worth it. The NS Dinner is a way of continuing the tradition of upperclassmen pampering the freshmen with food, kind of an indicator of the extent to which the upperclassmen are willing to serve the incoming freshmen.

I will agree that it can be tiring to do the whole month+ of NSO events without a break: "the spirit is willing but the flesh is weak." However, I do think that striving to do so is representative of our message that the kingdom means more than school. That having been said, though, I would propose that people (in the future, most likely) do learn to take maybe one event off. That's what an e-mail last year or the year before encouraged us leaders to do if we were realizing that there was a significant burden physically, emotionally, or spiritually. Obviously, this would be at the discretion at the leader, as the NSO period is during a time of school which is generally more relaxed, being at the start of the easier fall semester and being bookended by two breaks - a whole lot better than having a NSO at the beginning of the much more rushed winter semester.
chaohuei

Number of posts : 20
Name : Eric Chen
Year : Alumnus
Major : Linguistics
Registration date : 2008-09-11

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by lithiumcubed on Wed Oct 08, 2008 2:59 pm

I agree that New Student BBQ should have a new name. It doesn't target the focus of the event properly and is very misleading.

lithiumcubed

Number of posts : 3
Name : Lily Li
Year : Junior
Major : Electrical Engineering - PreLaw
Registration date : 2008-09-22

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Boomerwang on Wed Oct 08, 2008 3:29 pm

Any suggestions on a more suitable name for next year? I think "Fellowship BBQ" would be good. We can suggest it to Core for next year. Rolling Eyes
Boomerwang

Number of posts : 184
Name : Jerry
Year : Grad
Major : Civil Engr
Registration date : 2008-09-07

View user profile http://www.xanga.com/amurizon

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down