StarCraft LAN Parties

umivcf :: IVCF :: General

Go down

StarCraft LAN Parties

Post by stechen on Wed Sep 17, 2008 2:30 am

So in case some of you haven't noticed yet, I enjoy playing StarCraft immensely. Now of course, when you enjoy something you want to share the experience with others!

So PLAY WITH ME PEOPLE.

I'm up for teaching interested people to play and once you guys have the basics down then... COMPETITION. TOURNAMENTS. PRESTIGE.

Well, alternatively it means just messing around for fun when you're bored.

Currently, there is an imbalance between those who can play DOTA and those who can play StarCraft. This should not be. Don't have the game? I can provide it - functional, albeit stripped down. All you need is passion for the best RTS game ever made.

So there are basically four ways to get games going:

1. LAN Party! This typically means a bunch of people in the same apartment playing each other. We've been having these at the Alg sometimes, though DOTA is still a bit more popular right now. This can change with your help! Basically, bring a laptop and you're on your way to ruining your GPA.

2. Hamachi - this is a program that creates a virtual LAN network, allowing you to play people in a LAN environment even when you're in different countries. This tends to be lower lag then Battle.net and thus is my preferred option. Hamachi version 1.0.1.5 is the best version, and can be downloaded here: http://www.filehippo.com/download_hamachi/?2114

3. Battle.net (ICCUP) - International Cyber Cup is the most active ladder for StarCraft still existing - there are a ridiculous number of good players on it; however, you don't have to worry about that. It's important here because it allows you to play on Battle.net on the ICCUP server, avoiding CD-key problems. This is one of two options available for the Fishbowl (since while you can run StarCraft off of a flash drive, and you can't install software like Hamachi) After installing StarCraft (on your IFS space if you want), download the ICCUP launcher from here: http://www.iccup.com and you should be good to go. In the past we've been in channel "Fishbowl"

4. Fishbowl - If we are all able to get computers at the Fishbowl, then we can just play with LAN there (UDP) - no lag, and easy to coordinate. I'd say this is the ideal option.

That's a bunch of technical information that makes a lot more sense when I walk you through it in real life. If you're actually interested, this won't be a problem. Well actually lag can certainly be a real problem, but let's not think about that at this stage. So some people are already interested and you can just contact me or anyone on this list to join in!

Hamachi Network Name: UMSCBW
Hamachi Network Password: IM Steven (speedyvf33)

Battle.net ICCUP Channel: Fishbowl

Players:
(Name)(AIM/MSN)(Best Race)
Steven - speedyvf33/redbearfa@hotmail.com - Protoss
Will - willtsai06 - Zerg
Chazbot - soukishuku99 - Terran/Zerg
Zhongnan - zobo030 - Terran
Ben - killerkangaryu - Protoss
Jack - cyberdragon127 - Undefined
Boomer - plasmahands12 - Undefined
Kenny - tangaroo401 - Zerg
Byron - byronft@umich.edu - Protoss
Corrigan - mike48084 - Terran
Yaobert - s3cr3taznman04 - Undefined
Bo - Avidrunner04 - Undefined
Hugh - iceseehugh - Random
Hans - hansshulo@gmail.com - Terran
Tianyi - TtotheIANYI - Random
Alex - stevenspeedy@hotmail.com - Terran
Hyungi - frostlik39@hotmail.com - Undefined

More information will be upcoming about basic strategy to help y'all learn the ropes. Mwa ha ha.

Last edited by stechen on Wed Dec 17, 2008 12:29 am; edited 5 times in total
stechen

Number of posts : 60
Name : Steven Chen
Year : Junior
Major : Political Science, Asian Studies
Registration date : 2008-09-11

View user profile http://shadowdevil502.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Re: StarCraft LAN Parties

Post by tangaroo on Wed Sep 17, 2008 12:04 pm

call me whenever, i'll be willing to play in studio, so hamachi would be sweet.
tangaroo

Number of posts : 20
Registration date : 2008-09-17

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Boomerwang on Wed Sep 17, 2008 12:53 pm

I'm very hesitant to play from my grad office, but if the Reaper calls... you gotta answer, you know?

(we're so gonna fail)
Boomerwang

Number of posts : 184
Name : Jerry
Year : Grad
Major : Civil Engr
Registration date : 2008-09-07

View user profile http://www.xanga.com/amurizon

Back to top Go down

Post by vaneckb on Wed Sep 17, 2008 2:21 pm

AWESOME! I love starcraft, easily my favorite game of all time, been a long time though, and I don't have any of the upwards of three copies I've bought over the years around anymore, just an image for playing with my friends, you guys sound really serious though. Also I had no idea you could run BW off a flash drive, that's fairly awesome. You can count me in, unless of course you plan on playing against any of the better online players, that I'm never ever doing, instant death is what that gets you, it's just not worth the time to become that good.

vaneckb

Number of posts : 30
Name : Ben
Registration date : 2008-09-10

View user profile http://autonomouscollective.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by stechen on Wed Sep 17, 2008 2:36 pm

So far we basically just play between ourselves, so it's fairly accessible. We've got some players who've started literally since summer, some who've got a decent grasp of the game, and some who are looking for opponents on their skill level. I suppose after some games we'll figure out how it works - 2v2s are also great equalizers for skill disparity so it should work out. I'm going to be writing up a guide for absolute new players as well...
stechen

Back to top Go down

Post by stechen on Wed Sep 17, 2008 3:18 pm

Terran:

Redneck humans. In general, harder for new players to utilize effectively, but once mastered (i.e. secondary abilities all put into use via micro) they can be the strongest. Nearly all units are ranged.

Units:

(Name)(Cost)(Supply Taken)(Life)(Tech Required)(Hotkey)

Ground Units:

1. SCV (50 minerals)(1 food)(60HP)(Command Center)(s)

Basic worker unit - click on an SCV and right-click on a resource to mine. Profit! You also require them to build and repair Terran buildings. They can also repair Terran mechanical units, and their many hit points make them particularly useful in rushes.

2. Marine (50 minerals)(1 food)(40 HP)(Barracks)(m)

Ranged infantry, can shoot both ground and air targets, produced from Barracks. Does 6 base damage, has secondary ability "stim" which deducts 10 health but doubles rate of fire for limited time. Most effective when used in tandem with medics.

3. Medic (50 minerals + 25 gas)(1 food)(60HP)(Barracks + Academy)(c)

Medics have no attack, but can heal any allied organic units - they can greatly prolong the lives of your infantry in battle, and allow for multiple uses of stimpack.

4. Firebat (50 minerals + 25 gas)(1 food)(50HP)(Barracks + Academy)(f)

Melee unit that hits ground only - fares well against small units, does decent base damage plus splash damage. Like the marine, works best in tandem with medic support. Firebats also have stimpack ability.

5. Vulture (75 minerals)(2 food)(80)(Factory)(v)

Ranged hoverbikes, hit ground only. Vultures are the first unit available from the Factory, though for max effectiveness Speed and Mines should be researched from the Machine Shop addon for the Factory. Vultures are fast and can do much damage to small units, making them ideal for raids against enemy supply lines. The mines they lay pop up when enemy units approach and do massive damage. Each Vulture comes with 3 mines.

6. Siege Tank (150 minerals + 100 gas)(2 food)(150)(Factory + Machine Shop addon)(t)

Ranged tanks, hit ground only. The meat of the Terran metal army - the Siege Tank has two modes. Unupgraded, it does 30 damage per shot - with siege mode upgraded, it does 70 base damage per shot when deployed, but is immobile. They have a ridiculously long range and can wipe out many units before they break your ranks. However, the splash damage can damage your own units.

7. Goliath (100 minerals + 50 gas)(125)(Factory + Armory)(g)

Ranged walker - hits air and ground, does significantly more damage to air targets. Goliaths are good all-around units, but in particular they are necessary against heavy enemy air. They have a charon booster upgrade that increases missile attack range.

8. Ghost (25 minerals + 75 gas)(1 food)(45)(Barracks + Academy + Science Facility with Covert Ops Addon)(g)

Ghosts are really specialized units that rarely appear on the battlefield. Their attack (which hits both air and ground) does very little damage - rather, it is used for its special abilities. First, it has the ability to cloak, making it invisible unless the opponent has detectors. Second, it has a spell called "lockdown" that disables mechanical units for roughly 40 seconds. Third, it can direct nuclear missiles.

Air Units:

1. Wraith (150 minerals + 100 gas)(2 food)(120)(Starport)(w)

Wraiths can hit both air and ground, with the air attack being considerably stronger. However, its main usage is in hit and run attacks, because of its cloaking upgrade that renders it invisible unless there are detectors. They are fast, but relatively weak. Cloak must be upgrade at the Control Tower addon for the Starport. However, control towers do not need to be attached to train Wraiths.

2. Valkyrie (225 minerals + 125 gas)(3 food)(forgot)(Starport + Armory + Academy)(forgot, I never use them)

Unit with AoE effect that can only hit air - particularly useful against clumped units. Can take a lot of damage, but generally impractical unless enemy is training lots of air.

3. Battlecruiser (400 minerals + 300 gas)(6 food)(500)(Starport + Science Facility with Physics Lab Addon)(b)

Single most powerful unit in the game - can hit both air and ground. Ridiculously powerful, but takes a significant amount of time to build.

4. Dropship (100 minerals + 100 gas)(2 food)(forgot)(Starport + Control Tower addon)(d)

Transport unit - starts out as fastest transport unit in the game, can carry up to 8 marines or 2 tanks or 4 goliaths or 1 tank and 2 goliaths or 1 tank and 3 marines and 1 medic... you get the idea.

5. Science Vessel (100 minerals + 225 gas)(2 food)(200)(Starport + Control Tower addon + Science Facility)(v)

Mobile detection - does not have attack, but has various useful spells - EMP Shockwave, which is an AoE spell that takes away all the shields and energy within a small radius (thus very useful against Protoss). Irradiate, which damages organic units and those around the irradiated unit (thus very useful against Zerg), and Defense Matrix which adds 250 hit points to targeted unit. EMP and Irradiate must be upgraded at the Science Facility.

Other:

1. Bunker (100 minerals)(350)(Barracks)(b+u)

Build on location by SCVs, bunkers can be built to provide additional cover for your infantry units - up to 4 Marines, Medics, or Firebats can be stored in each bunker. SCVs can be too, though this is redundant.

2. Missile Turret (75 minerals)(120)(Engineering Bay)(b+t)

Can only hit air, but does lots of damage and fires rapidly. Also serves as detection against cloaked units. These are awesome, but don't overdo it.

Useful Tips:

*Note, these are generalizations*

Terran vs Protoss: The combat units of choice in this matchup are Tanks, Vultures, and Goliaths. Infantry is not recommended because of low health and susceptibility to AoE attacks, Psionic Storm and Scarabs in particular. Tanks are the primary damage-dealers, while Vultures lay mines to stop Protoss from reaching Terran ranks. Terran is normally slightly outnumbered, and thus must utilize secondary abilities such as Siege Mode and Vulture Mines for maximum effectiveness.

Terran vs Zerg: Marines and Medics are the standard combat unit here, because metal units like Tanks are expensive and generally overkill targets. Because Zerg are numerous and weak, Marines are perfect.

Last edited by stechen on Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
stechen

Back to top Go down

Post by stechen on Wed Sep 17, 2008 7:50 pm

Protoss:

Advanced alien race. In general, easier for new players to use due to stronger units - however, units are also generally more expensive and take longer to build. The Protoss also have a variety of spellcasters that when microed correctly can turn the tide of war.

*Note that Protoss unit life stats have two parameters - the first being HP, the second being energy shields that slowly recharge over time.

Ground Units:

(Name)(Cost)(Supply Taken)(HP)(Tech Required)(Hotkey)

1. Probe (50 minerals)(1)(20/20)(Nexus)(p)

Basic worker unit. You require them to warp in Protoss buildings. Unlike Terran or Zerg, once a probe begins warping in a building it can move on to others tasks immediately. Thus one probe can get a base started fairly quickly.

2. Zealot (100 minerals)(2)(100/60)(Gateway)(z)

Melee unit - hits ground only. The basic combat unit of the Protoss Army - while they must get right next to an enemy to attack, they do decent amounts of damage and can take it as well. With a speed upgrade from the Citadel of Adun they're even cooler.

3. Dragoon (125 minerals + 50 gas)(2)(100/80)(Gateway + Cybernetics Core)(d)

Ranged unit - hits ground and air. Basic support unit of the Protoss Army - best used in combination with Zealots. Not quite as effective against small units like Zerglings and Marines or Mutalisks. Has a worthwhile range increase upgrade.

4. High Templar (50 minerals + 150 gas)(2)(40/40)(Gateway, Templar Archives)

Spellcaster - has no base attack. Templars require energy to cast their spells - Psionic Storm, which costs 75 energy and does AoE damage over a period of time (120 damage in all), Hallucinations which cost 100 energy and produce 2 weak clones of hallucinated unit, and lastly by merging two High Templars you can create an Archon.

5. Archon (2 High Templars)(4)(350/10)

An Archon is created by merging two High Templars - ideally when they are out of energy and worthless for the time being. Note that this merge is irreversible. Archons have a powerful attack with splash that hits both ground and air. While they have lots of shields, once these are depleted they die almost instantly. Hallucination and Psionic Storm must be upgraded at the Templar Archives.

6. Dark Templar (125 minerals + 100 gas)(2)(80/40)(Gateway, Templar Archives)

INVISIBLE NINJA. If the enemy does not have detectors, they cannot target Dark Templars. These units have a relatively slow but powerful attack that does 40 damage per swipe, making them well-suited for worker raids.

7. Dark Archon (2 Dark Templars)(4)(Forgot)

A Dark Archon is created by merging two Dark Templar. Note that this merge is irreversible. Dark Archons have three spells - Feedback, which expends 50 energy and damages spellcasters according to how much energy they have in them at the time, Maelstrom which expends 100 energy and temporarily paralyzes organic units (thus particularly effective against Zerg) with an AoE, and Mind Control which expends 150 energy and takes away all of the Dark Archon's shields. Mind Control can be used to turn an enemy unit into your own - this is particularly amusing when you MC a worker from a different race and use their own equipment against them. Maelstrom and Mind Control must be upgraded at the Templar Archives.

8. Reaver (200 minerals + 100 gas)(4)(Forgot)(Robotics Facility + Robotics Support Bay)

Slow caterpillar-like robots that fire off "scarabs" which must be manually replenished (press r) and cost 15 minerals each. Scarabs do massive amounts of AoE damage, making that great against clumped units. Because Reavers are so slow, they are almost always used in tandem with shuttles for greater mobility. Can be upgraded with stronger scarabs and more scarab capacity.

Air Units:

1. Scout (275 minerals + 125 gas)(3)(160/100)(Stargate)

Pretty much the most worthless unit in the game. Can hit both air and ground; however while its air attack is extremely effective against capital ships (i.e. Carriers, Battlecruisers) its ground attack is absolutely pathetic. Factor in its expensive cost and long build time and you've got the perfect humiliation weapon - like knifing someone in CS. Can be upgraded at a Fleet Beacon for increased sight range (why?) and speed.

2. Corsair (150 minerals + 100 gas)(2)(80/60)(Stargate)

Arguably the best air superiority unit in the game - can only hit air. It has a weak but rapid-firing attack that does AoE damage, making it effective against clumped units. It is also one of the fastest units in the game and is thus well-suited for scouting. It has one spell - Disruption Web - that can be upgraded at the Fleet Beacon, which casts a web under which units are unable to attack.

3. Carrier (350 minerals + 250 gas)(6)(200/150)(Stargate + Fleet Beacon)

2nd toughest capital ship in the game - can hit both air and ground. Attacks via small interceptors that must be manually build (press i) and cost 25 each. With capacity upgrade each Carrier can carry 8 interceptors. Carriers are relatively mobile and can deal lots of damage quickly in numbers, and thus are quite powerful when utilized correctly.

4. Arbiter (100 minerals + 350 gas)(4)(Forgot)(Stargate + Arbiter Tribunal)

Slowest building unit in the game - can hit both air and ground. However, its attack is ridiculously weak. Instead, it is useful because it can cloak units in a radius around it, making them invisible without detectors. In addition, it has 2 spells - Recall, which expends 150 energy and can teleport allied units to the Arbiter's location and Stasis Field, which expends 100 energy and is a AoE spell that freezes units making them unable to attack or be attacked for 40 seconds. Both spells must be upgraded at the Arbiter Tribunal.

5. Observer (25 minerals + 75 gas)(1)(40/40)(Robotics Facility + Observatory)

Cloaked detector. Required to detect units such as Dark Templar, Lurkers, Wraiths, etc.

6. Shuttle (200 minerals)(2)(80/60)(Robotics Facility)

Transport vehicle - can carry 8 probes or 4 Zealots or 2 Dragoons or 2 Reavers or 1 reaver and 1 Dragoon or 1 reaver and 2 Zealots... you get the idea. Initially slow, but with speed upgrade available at the Robotics Support Bay, becomes the fastest transport unit in game.

Matchup Hints:

*Note that below tips are generalities

Protoss vs Terran:

The Dragoon is the main combat unit here, supported by Zealots. This is because nearly all Terran units are ranged and thus without covering fire Zealots have a hard time breaking into Terran lines. Observers are recommended, to detect vulture mines. In addition, because of Terran's lack of early game mobile detection, Dark Templar can also be very effective.

Protoss vs Zerg:

The Zealot is the main combat unit here, with Dragoon support. This is because Dragoons are ineffectual against Zerglings, the most common Zerg combat unit in this matchup. The Protoss army should inevitably be outnumbered by the Zerg, and thus High Templars are also very useful here, because their AoE spell can kill or heavily damage most Zerg units, evening out number odds. Corsairs can also be used to hunt down overlords, though you need to build 5+ for max effectiveness.
stechen

Back to top Go down

Random Lingo

Post by stechen on Fri Sep 19, 2008 8:16 pm

Random StarCraft lingo

ICCUP - International Cyber Cup - The most active StarCraft ladder today - very good for practice if you want to get better. Players are ranked by letters (A, B, C, D) based on points they gain or lose in games against other players. For the most part it's not particularly noob friendly because even a D-level player can defeat the average US East or West player easily.

Harass - Engaging the enemy where he is weak - not referring to large-scale battles. Essentially, using limited units to do damage without overcommitting.

Economy - How many bases you have, which includes worker saturation

Maxed - 200/200 supply, where no more units can be built

Raids - Generally, hit and run attacks aimed at damaging another player's economy. This includes High Templar drops, Vulture Harass, etc.

b. Unit names:

ZERG
Hydra - Hydralisk
Lings - Zergling
Cracklings - Zergling with Adrenal Gland Upgrade
Mutas - Mutalisks

TERRAN
M&M/Infantry - Marines and Medics
Metal - Factory units - generally referring to Vultures + Tanks, sometimes with Goliaths
Vessels - Science Vessels
SK Terran - TvZ style that is primarily Marines + Science Vessels. Few tanks.

PROTOSS

to be continued...
stechen

Back to top Go down

Post by stechen on Sat Sep 27, 2008 3:11 am

So we've found some more players and ended up playing some games tonight using ICCUP - it seems more reliable than I had expected. Good times were had by all~

I'll try and post here when we're planning on playing in advance.
stechen

Back to top Go down

Post by stechen on Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:10 pm

Dang, this thread hasn't been updated in forever. At any rate, I've found more friends who play SC as well - including some who play 2v2 regularly so that should be cool for those of you who aren't fans of 1v1.

Tonight (11/12) at the Fishbowl: COME
stechen

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content