Grace

umivcf :: IVCF :: General

Go down

Grace

Post by zhangshunyu on Mon Oct 20, 2008 3:25 am

I posted this in my small group's section, but I think it's important to share with everybody:

Re: Verses of Encouragement
by zhangshunyu Today at 1:37 am

for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God
-Romans 3:23

I know this doesn't seem like a very encouraging verse, I think it is, but it is also meant to be a little rebuking. It's very easy for us as Christians, especially as Christian leaders, to judge those around us as being "worse" than ourselves. I have and am often guilty of doing this. This verse reminds us all that we are all broken and sinful people, no better and no worse than ANYBODY else. A friend was sharing with me how they've been blessed by people who have shown patience and love to them, when they have acted out of anger and judged these people without all the information. This person was then able to exhibit patience when I was ranting, somewhat ignorantly. I think it is important for everyone to realize this because people being judgmental is a problem that has caused our fellowship a lot of hurt in the past and present. And when we do need to confront someone, it is essential to get all the facts first and approach them out of love and understanding.

Grace, along with being a pretty cool girl :P, is the example that Jesus has given us. Even when we feel like people don't deserve forgiveness, we need to remember that we should forgive them because we are just like them, and Jesus died and forgave us all, even though we definitely did not deserve it.
zhangshunyu

Number of posts : 34
Name : Spencer Chang
Year : Senior
Major : Business
Registration date : 2008-09-16

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Grace

Post by stechen on Mon Oct 20, 2008 7:19 pm

This is paradoxically actually one of the more encouraging things that I've learned over the year - that we all fall short of the mark. I know something that I struggled with before was the feeling that everyone else had things together, that I was the only one who went through the struggles that I had. Thus, I was afraid to reach out and seek help, support, and affirmation from the community for fear of alienation or something like that. This can really be a roadblock towards true spiritual growth, and something I'd like to encourage to complement this is to really open up to at least one person you trust about yourself spiritually (or other aspects too)... it really helps.
stechen

Number of posts : 60
Name : Steven Chen
Year : Junior
Major : Political Science, Asian Studies
Registration date : 2008-09-11

View user profile http://shadowdevil502.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Boomerwang on Tue Oct 21, 2008 1:58 am

stechen wrote:I know something that I struggled with before was the feeling that everyone else had things together, that I was the only one who went through the struggles that I had.

Yeah, this was definitely true for me too! And even now, despite knowing the truth (that we all struggle with issues more similar than we may know), it's still a struggle for me every day to remember that, and to meet and interact with people where we are, not based on this assumption.
Boomerwang

Number of posts : 184
Name : Jerry
Year : Grad
Major : Civil Engr
Registration date : 2008-09-07

View user profile http://www.xanga.com/amurizon

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down